- Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Located in our policy library, this document provides a summary of our programs, targets, and responsibilities for advancing equal employment opportunity at Griffith University.
- Inclusive practices for people with disabilities This policy provides a summary of our commitment to supporting the involvement of people with disabilities in higher education both as students and employees.
- Students with a Disability Policy Also located in our policy library, this document outlines our commitment to increasing and enhancing opportunities for people with disabilities to access higher education and graduate employment. It sets out the principles upon which our commitment is based.
Strategy and planning
Creating accessible teaching and web resources
- Accessibility in Blended Learning This site identifies appropriate inclusive practices to be used by our academics, educational designers and web developers in the design and development of blended learning resources. Included are general guidelines on web content accessibility and techniques for web development. Links are also provided to a range of valuable resources.
- Accessibility in Distance Education This site from the Online Learning Consortium details information collated by the University of Maryland University College which was designed to meet the needs of faculty staff who teach students with disabilities in the on-line environment. It explains accessibility problems that may be faced by these students and helps faculty develop solutions within their course websites.
Assistive technology manufacturers and suppliers
- Ai Squared - a manufacturer of assistive technology, including ZoomText, for the visually impaired. Free trial software may be available.
- Duxbury Systems - a manufacturer of braille translation software.
- Freedom Scientific - a manufacturer of hardware, software and accessories for people with vision impairments and learning disabilities. Demonstration software, upgrades, tutorials, etc are available for download, including for Jaws and Open Book.
- HumanWare - designers and distributors of technology for people who are visually impaired. Downloads for upgrades, file drivers and helpful information are provided. They have an agent in Queensland.
- Quantum Technology - an Australian manufacturer and distributor of assistive technology.
- Sensory Tools - a division of the Australian company Robotron that specialises in assistive technology. They are researchers in the fields of speech synthesis and optical character recognition, and manufacturers of a wide range of assistive devices including talking personal computers, reading machines, Braille translation software and talking mobility devices.
- TextHELP - a manufacturer of literacy software solutions such as Read & Write, that are designed to assist those with literacy difficulties, dyslexia, or where English is a second language.
These web pages generally contain information about the organisation and their services, and most provide useful links to related web sites, including sites of manufacturers and distributors of assistive technology.
- Australian DeafBlind Council
- Blind Citizens Australia
- Queensland Blind Association
- Vision Australia
Electronic books and journals
The library catalogue provides links to a wide range of electronic books and journals that we subscribe to or that are freely available on the web. To restrict your search to this type of resource, select Electronic Resources from the Choose Collections menu on the entry page, then search in the normal way.
Many of the library databases that we subscribe to provide full text of the journal articles they index.
There are also a wide range of external sites that provide access to electronic books. A few are listed below:
- Classic bookshelf - as the name suggests free classic books are available in electronic format.
- On-line Books - over 30,000 English works in various formats and covering most disciplines.
- Project Gutenberg - over 25,000 etexts freely available to the public.
- Project Gutenberg of Australia - provides approx 1,600 unique titles in addition to those available on the Project Gutenberg site.
- Project Gutenberg Sheet Music Project - at present mostly chamber music is available from this site but other genres are being added over time. You can download or print free scores and some public domain music and there are also links to software for music.
- E-Books@Adelaide - The University of Adelaide project aims to create new editions of classic works in a format suitable for reading on screen or downloading for offline reading.