The Griffith University Biosafety Committee (UBC) on behalf of Griffith University must report to the OGTR any accidents or incidents that occur while undertaking dealings with GMOs. This may include:
- misclassification of work that has been undertaken;
- work that has not been undertaken in appropriate containment facilities;
- unauthorised entry into certified facilities;
- work that has not complied with the required Australian Standard; or
- accidental releases into the environment.
Where there is risk to human health or the environment, incidents involving GMOs must be reported to the OGTR immediately. The OGTR must be notified, as soon as practicable, of any unintentional release of GMOs from a facility.
Any accident or incident involving a GMO or OGTR certified facility must be reported to the Griffith University Biosafety Committee via mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. An incident shall be reported via GSafe and in accordance with the Griffith University Reporting and recording procedures for incidents, injuries, illness, hazards or near misses (PDF 526k).
Section 5 of the Australian New Zealand Standard: AS2243.3 Safety in Laboratories Part 3: Microbiological aspects and containment facilities provides information regarding the process and procedures required to deal with biological spills at SAI Global.