Griffith delivers a standardised survey to students as part of its commitment to Learning and Teaching enhancements. Feedback is drawn from a student's experience with their courses (SEC) and teachers (SET) and is managed through an online system.
The experience@griffith system
- Promotes a holistic approach to course and teaching surveys;
- Provides instant access to reports, in a variety of formats;
- Allows analysis of student experience trends over time;
- Streamlines and partially automates survey admin; and
- Maintains high data integrity standards, including confidentiality of responses.
"By completing the course experience survey, students are contributing to ensuring the standards recognised by employers are maintained. It's not just for staff to obtain endoresement from students about their teaching, but rather to improve the overall course delivery at Griffith."
Indu Singh - Associate Professor / Convenor
School of Medical Science
SEC and SET surveys are comprised of core questions.However, Convenors and Instructors can also add additional questions from the Question Library that have specific interest to them and their course.
The experience@griffith system upholds anonymity via the following methods:
- Response anonymity – no student can be identified in the system; and
- Report access restrictions – only staff with a clear need to know have access to report areas.
"I would definitely recommend for the Survey Crew to present in-class annoucements during the SEC/SET survey period. It improved my responses by 10% after they presented a short presentation in my lecture."
Cathy Carmody - Lecturer / Convenor
School of Nursing and Midwifery
The Surveys and Engagement team oversees the experience@griffith system. In general, key dates to remember are:
|Week 8||Academic staff are requested to review survey details; add SETs, add customised questions and make changes|
|Week 11||Surveys are open for student response|
|First week of exams||Reports are made available|
As a gesture of appreciation for the time spent offering thoughtful responses, every complete SEC response earns an entry into a Trimester prize draw, with $25,000 on offer each year!Download the 2017 Cash Prize Draw Schedule. View the experience@griffith's Terms and Conditions.
Group and School level results are compiled into a report disseminated by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) twice yearly, while system-sourced reports are available immediately after a survey closes. These are often used for purposes such as awards, personal reflection, and promotions:
- Individual report (PDF 556k) – data and open comments for one course.
- Summary report (PDF 339k) – data and open comments aggregated and averaged for several courses defined by the user (i.e. Group, School, program; by term, campus, method of delivery).
- Multiple report (PDF 560k) – data for multiple courses displayed individually by course in one report.
Survey results are incorporated into academic profile reports and academic staff are encouraged to utilise a Course Improvement Plan (PDF 238k) to document the development of courses over time. Additional support is available through Learning Futures.
Congratulations to staff whose excellence in teaching has been celebrated through Griffith's many awards and grants!
Discover instructional videos and guides on how to set-up SETs, download reports and much more!