All students receive a Google Apps account while studying and after graduation. All official university correspondence is sent to your student account therefore it is important to check for email or configure a forward to an account you check regularly. Correspondence would include information about enrollment and fees, library loans and course content.
Name changes and your student email
You can amend your student name details via the Griffith Student Centre.
Please note this will change your primary mail address. Your sNumber@griffithuni.edu.au will remain active. However, your old email address firstname.lastname@example.org will only remain active for 30 days.
- Emails addressed to your old email will conintue to arrive in your Griffith University email account for 30 days.
- After 30 days, your old email address is removed and only emails address to your new email address will arrive in your Grififth email account.
- Your new email address will be automatically updated in the University systems.
Students who are also staff members
When you are a student and a staff member you have two email accounts and it is the staff account that is the primary account. Any correspondence from systems such as HR and Learning@Griffith will go to the primary account. It is therefore important to check both accounts or configure a forward from staff to student.
All staff are provided with a Google Apps accounts while employed at Griffith.
To access your email enter your staff number and portal password.
Access to staff email is automatically removed effective from the date you cease employment. It is not possible to have access beyond the term of employment. Therefore it is important to read Leaving Griffith University before your termination date.
Name changes and your staff email
When your preferred name or last name changes, your email address may also change. This will affect some downstream systems such as Finance, Concur.
- Matthew Smith with existing email account email@example.com changes his preferred name to Matt, the email account will remain unchanged as he is the owner of firstname.lastname@example.org alias.
- Matthew Smith with existing email account email@example.com changes his preferred name to Matt, the email account will change to firstname.lastname@example.org (assuming email@example.com alias is already owned by another staff member)
- Jane Doe with existing email account firstname.lastname@example.org changes her surname to Bloggs, the email address will change to either email@example.com (if available) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Your former email address will remain active and emails will redirect to your new email address.
- If your email address does change, you will need to update your account/username login information to reflect your new email address (e.g. mobile device, Outlook/Mac mail application, iPad/Android tablet etc.).
- Information on the default format and what happens when you change your names can be located at Account Management - Account Details.
You can update personal details via: Staff Portal > My Staff Page > About Me > My Personal Details > Name
Email Guidelines and Policies
When communicating via email, you must comply with University guidelines and policies including:
Log a Request
- Request shared mailbox
- Manage your shared mailboxes
- Remove shared mailbox form
- Request access to another staff member's email
- Transfer ownership of Google Drive
- Reset Mobile/Desktop application password
- Request Adjunct staff email account
- Broadcast Email System