Short-term period of study away from the University

A period studying away from the University usually is taken for the purpose of conducting fieldwork, data gathering, or to attend a conference. Candidates remain enrolled whilst studying away from the University. Requests can be made via myGriffith, My Research, My Candidate Centre.

The following approvals are required:

  • periods of less than three months are approved by the candidate's principal supervisor
  • periods of three to six months are approved by the Head of Element (or delegated HDR Convenor) on the recommendation of the candidate's principal supervisor
  • periods of six to twelve months are approved by the Dean (Research) on the recommendation of the Head of Element (or delegated HDR Convenor) and the candidate's principal supervisor. The Dean (Research) may require a candidate to
    • demonstrate that adequate resources and facilities will be available
    • provide a schedule of contact with their University supervisors
    • provide details of a local supervisor who has agreed to assist
    • provide regular reports on their activities during their absence from the University
  • periods in excess of twelve months will be considered candidature located away from the University (remote candidature) and require a different approval process

Study Away Overseas

Approval to study away overseas for any period (including conference attendance) must be obtained in order to ensure the necessary insurance coverage is in place. Candidates requesting to study away overseas will also need to provide evidence (e.g. a screenshot) that their trip has been registered through International SOS’s MyTrips portal.

Candidates who intend to travel overseas are advised to check the latest travel advice issued by the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade prior to lodging a request to study away. Study away will not normally be approved for travel to countries under a ‘do not travel’ or ‘reconsider your need to travel’ warning. In exceptional cases candidates may make a case for approval, for consideration by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic).

For further information (including insurance, International SOS and the MyTrips user guide) please see the Before you go website.