SafeAssign is an online text-matching service, owned by Blackboard, who also own the software that runs Learning@Griffith. Please be aware that SafeAssign is NOT a plagiarism detection tool.
Documents submitted via Learning@Griffith are sent via the internet to SafeAssign, where the content is automatically checked for originality against documents from other sources: for example, documents available for public access on the Internet, major library databases, a Griffith University institutional document archive (containing all assignments submitted to SafeAssign by Griffith staff and students), and the SafeAssign Global Reference Database, which contains documents submitted by other institutions around the world.
Once the document has been checked, a report is generated and automatically made available via Learning@Griffith. The report shows which, if any, text in the submitted document matches text from other documents.
This service can help educators prevent plagiarism by detecting unoriginal content in student papers. In addition to acting as a plagiarism deterrent, it also has features designed to aid in educating students about plagiarism and the importance of proper attribution of any borrowed content.
For more information about academic integrity at Griffith University, please visit the Academic Integrity website.
Step by step
The basics: How to submit a SafeAssignment
Note that you may be able to submit your assignment online via one of several tools - including SafeAssign (this tool) or TurnItIn. Submission requirements and steps differ between tools. Please check with teaching staff in your course if you aren't certain which you are using.
- Locate the assignment submission point in your course - for example, it might be in the Assessment area.
- Click the link to the assignment's name
- On the Upload Assignment page, click Browse my computer and select a file to attach. (Note the file size should be no larger than 10mb).
- Ensure you have the correct file.
- You can choose if you would like to submit your paper to the Global Reference Database by checking the box. This step is optional.
- Click Submit.
- A success message appears, confirming the assignment submission.
You can re-enter the assignment submission point to view your submitted file and confirm that your assignment has been submitted successfully. You can also view your SafeAssign originality report.
Good to know
- Note the file size should be no larger than 10mb
- Submission points for your SafeAssign will be located within the course site for your course on Learning@Griffith. If you are having trouble locating a submission point, please contact your Course Convenor.
- An Organisation called "SafeAssign Draft" is available for any student to self-enrol in, and submit drafts of their papers. Submission of a paper to SafeAssign via the SafeAssign Draft Organisation does not count as submission of assessment for any course.