3G wireless Broadband provides high-speed wireless internet and data network access over a wide area. The benefit of using 3G is that you can access the internet or download files from your laptop wherever you are.
To receive wireless Internet, a wireless modem is connected to your laptop which then communicates using radio signals to your WISPs receiver. Our preferred WISP is Optus, however if you travel in rural destinations, we can arrange for Telstra Broadband on the Next G network.
Limitations of 3G
There are some limitations of using 3G wireless broadband:
- Coverage is limited - in certain rural areas it may be unavailable
- Connectivity - wireless offers slightly slower data speeds than ADSL or cable, although this is improving with the introduction of HSDPA which allows higher data transfer speeds and capacity
- Reliability - as with any service that relies on radio waves, there is the chance that external interference can cause disruptions in signal quality. For example, signal quality may be diminished during unusual weather or inside buildings
- Cost - using Wireless Broadband while traveling overseas will incur high rates for data downloads. These rates may vary according to the costs charged by the foreign network operator
Charges and devices
For details on the current Optus Wireless Broadband rate plans and the different modem devices available, please refer to Optus Wireless Broadband (PDF 86k).
If you travel in rural destinations and require Telstra Next G coverage, we have details of Telstra Wireless Broadband rate plans and the different modem devices available. Refer to Telstra Wireless Broadband (PDF 325k).
How to Order
To order 3G wireless broadband, we require the following information:
- Name of person using service
- Your preferred rate plan (Note: the standard rate plan is Optus 3gig)
- The device you require
- Griffith Account details for purchase and usage charges, including the Speedtype (eg: XYZ1001) and Class (eg: MAINT)
- Authoriser (person must have financial delegation)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to order your 3G wireless broadband.