Staff support for desktop and notebook computers, printers and other peripherals.
We provide installation and maintenance of:
- software on Griffith assets.
- desktop computing hardware and peripherals, including new computers.
- computing labs.
As well as:
- investigation and evaluation of emerging technologies.
- advice on all IT related issues.
- development and deployment of a SOE for Griffith.
- general second and third tier support for our IT infrastructure.
Purchasing information, order forms and preffered models.
Details on Windows and Apple Macintosh based computer environments.
Technical support and service for all issues related to computing operation.
Computer retirement process
Outlines for the Univeristy's computer retirement process
Information on recommended software and support levels.
We currently have several preferred supplier arrangements in place with the following vendors:
- Data 3 (HP product)
- Dell computers
These arrangement are periodically reviewed in accordance with good Contract Management practices and Significant Procurement Plans. This helps to ensure the University has access to high quality IT equipment and support services at very competitive prices.
We regularly review the recommended configuration for new computer purchases. A key requirement is to ensure that the capacity of the unit is sufficient to ensure it will be useful for the whole of its expected service life. At present, the service life for the average desktop computer at Griffith is four years.
Some Dell standard models are pre-approved and these can be purchased from Dell’s Premier Page located on Unimarket. This is accessed by entering a purchase request on the Staff portal.
Next Business Day (NBD) On-site Service covers labour and the repair or replacement of parts in the main system unit, including monitor, keyboard and mouse, if not ordered separately, and after confirmed diagnosis with Dell Technical Support.
There are no insurance options available for computing equipment.
For enquiries regarding the progress of your order or the arrival of your new equipment, please contact email@example.com.
Find out more
For HP and Apple products, written quotes must be obtained and included with your requisition on the Staff portal. Please note that Apple has a panel of preferred resellers and comparative quotes must be sought from the panel when purchasing Apple products.
The quote is for hardware only. When the new computer has been delivered to Griffith campus, you will be notified via email. You will be able to request for new software or transfer existing software to the new computer through Software Services.
Apple Macintosh based computer environment
All Griffith purchased Mac laptops and desktops currently have an MOE which overlays the Mac OS X . This overlay includes these standard software:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook)
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (Antivirus & Security)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Java Runtime
- VLC Media Player
- Ricoh Print Drivers
A "New Computer Setup" is required via software services during the ordering process.
Technical support and service for all issues related to the operation of your Desktop, Laptop, Tablet and peripheral devices connected to your computer.
Service Provisions includes:
- Technical support for your desktop software and hardware (including printers), when you are having issues
- Custom image configurations for libraries, teaching and common use and school laboratories
- Reimaging computers to restore default configurations
- User-specific configurations of Windows/Macintosh/Linux computing environments to enable connectivity to services
- Routine maintenance services including patches, fixes, virus updates, BIOS updates to ensure compatibility with Griffith University applications
- File Recovery
- Virus, spyware and malware scanning and removal
- Support for computers located in the Red Zone
- Home support for Griffith University Executive members
- Relocation of computer equipment
- Other technical troubleshooting where necessary
The main criteria in selecting a printer is the cost per page. IT support staff can assist you with selecting the correct model and obtaining quotes. For a list of available printers and MFDs, please visit Printing Services.
How do I Initiate the Service
- Log a request for support via the IT Self- Service Centre.
- Call the IT Service Centre on 07 373 55555 for assistance.
- Support for non-Griffith University Hardware or Products
- Training on Desktop Applications
- Large or complex relocation of equipment
Tech assist bars
Visit one of our Tech Assist Bars on Nathan or Gold Coast campus available Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm for face-to-face support.
'Catalina' or 'MacOS v10.15' operating system issues identified
Apple is releasing a new operating system called 'Catalina' or 'MacOS v10.15’.
We have tested a pre release version of this operating system and have identified several high-risk issues which would cause significant disruption if installed on your Griffith Mac.
These issues include:
- Unable to connect to some Griffith network resources, including the staff print system, G: drive.
- Cannot log into your Mac using Griffith credentials.
- Some applications will be incompatible with ‘Catalina’ and will not work.
What you need to do
If you see a message promoting you to install ‘Catalina’ please DO NOT upgrade until further notice. This operating system upgrade will not automatically install on your Mac and will only install if you manually upgrade through the Apple Store.
NOTE: If installed there is no ‘quick fix solution’ available. A manual re-install of the previous operating system will be required which takes time to do.
Your existing operating system will continue to automatically install minor updates from time to time. These are safe and not expected to cause you any problems.
Working towards a solution
We are currently working with Apple to address these issues. Apple have advised that there are no security implications by not upgrading.